The great man is he who does not lose his child's heart. (Mencius, Chinese philosopher 372-289 BC)

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Welcome to my world


My grandfather was a very wise and special man. 

He died (aged 97) in 2007. He used to love watching me play with my children (his great grandchildren). He always used to comment on what a different relationship I had with W, M and E and how he wished he had been able to spend more time with his 5 children.

A father's role today is an immensely rich, important and special one, as it always has been. However, a dad today plays a completely different role from that played by our fathers and grandfathers.

In fact it would be more accurate to say that a dad today is expected to play far more roles than the generations that have gone before.

Work/ home life balance, often a long commute, possibly an active role in the local community/ church, more often than not caring for elderly parents, winning the bread (or at least a large part of it), husband/ partner all compete with the role of being dad.

Thats why I have named this blog "Dad etc" - because I am going to try to reflect the broad reach of the 21st century dad's role through the posts of this blog.

First, a disclaimer. My oldest is 12 so I have 12 years experience as a dad and I have boys and girls BUT I am no childcare expert - these are merely my musings on my life as a Dad etc. They can obviously only reflect my experiences - as limited as they are.

Juggling


I have always wanted to learn how to juggle. A friend of mine once taught me how but I have never got beyond juggling 3 balls for a few seconds before they all crash to the floor.

Life for a Dad in the 21st century is like that isnt it. 

No wonder I wanted to learn to juggle.

No wonder I keep dropping balls.

Speak again soon.

JH





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...